Thursday 8 October 2015

Food photography



















Overall thoughts 
These photographs were created by using three different locations, one a studio, another a kitchen and one an another studio kitchen. All locations were easy to take photographs in and all had a large amount of light I could use for my photographs so that I was able to highlight the detail in the food I'm photographing.Every photograph I take I want to make the food attractive and appealing, this will very much apply when taking pictures for my final outcome, which will be a poster. The biscuits didn't offer as much colour however the drink I included with the cereal was very vibrant and added colour to my image. I have mainly used plates and bowls to use as props in my photos as this what most people associate with food and this also gives me a place to have the food.    

These two images were created in the studio, both taken with a manual setting on the camera. I decided on this plate as I liked the pattern on the plate and I thinks its eye catching which leads the viewer attention towards the biscuit. Placing the biscuits like this made them the main subject and something the viewer looked upon as there in the centre of the frame. The reason I picked to use the biscuits in this setting as I wanted to capture their texture the best and the colour contrasts very well with the white backdrop. I chose the format horizontal as I thought it would best suit these images as it would be able to showcase the biscuits and plate. On the second image, I placed the biscuits in a specific area and the way I wanted more strictly. I wanted the biscuits to resemble mickey mouse or a heart as these are both commonly known icons. I varied angle I took the photograph with each different type of food, as to see which worked best, the main one I used was a mid-angle as this showcased the biscuits and the prop the best. However, as shown in the second image a higher angle could also be used to achieve the same thing, as the biscuits are still the main focus and everything is in the shot. Using a manual setting on both my camera and lens has achieved these images which made me think about the photograph more, made me check that the image was in focus and look at what was in the frame. 



The next three images were taken in my kitchen and were taken near the window using natural morning light. Placing the food here was the place where the light could highlight the food and make sure I could capture the detail of the food in my photographs. I chose to take photographs of cereal, my breakfast, because of the texture the food has and the colour of the food. Including the drink adds a splash of colour to the image, which makes the photo more interesting and appealing. The close-ups of the food help show the eye-catching detail  at a close range and I also wanted to showcase the entirety of the objects.  For the majority of my images, I used the format of landscape as I believe it makes the objects look better and more of the item can be shown in landscape. 





When taking these images I was inside and this is the reason for the orange tint on the photograph. All the food is placed in the centre so that the the food becomes the central and main focus. I picked these images as because I believe these are some of my best photographs as they show the product clearly and make them look interesting and attractive to the viewer. As shown I also experimented with angles I used when photographing, the photo below I used a lower angle to showcase the plate and how the biscuits are placed on the plate. I used many props to help photograph the biscuits, the plates were used to be a place to put the biscuits and the saucer and tea pot are to add an interesting and pretty object into the image. I mainly photographed in one area as this was where my items were set up and where there was the most room to photograph. 






No comments:

Post a Comment